Shipping & returns
Postage, Packing and Delivery
All goods are sent in padded envelopes or specially made packaging. (Please see returns section for loss or damage). UK deliveries are packed and processed as soon as possible and sent Inland 2nd Class packet post. Outwith our busiest times, orders are processed and despatched within one business day of receipt of your order (subject to availability), except in the case of orders for our annual DVD which is available for despatch in mid-October each year.
European orders are sent airmail and can vary in delivery depending on their destination. Normal service to Europe is 7-9 days from date of postage. Mail to non-EC/Rest of world addresses is sent airmail packet post and in normal circumstances will reach you within 7-14 days. In all cases mail delivery times cannot be guaranteed. You can email us for a more accurate estimate of arrival times for your region/country. Please try to avoid giving PO Box numbers for mail, unless they are frequently serviced. Mail to South Africa will be charged an extra £4.50 per item as we must send this by recorded mail.
You may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to specify recorded mail or swifter services. These can be arranged for you in most cases subject to the payment of an additional fee. In all circumstances payment is due before mail leaves the Tattoo Office.
Canada Service Disruption Update
Current Situation - December 6th 2018
Two weeks ago, Canada Post requested Royal Mail and all other International Postal Operators (and consolidators) suspended the dispatch of international traffic destined for Canada, as a result of strikes which have been affecting their network since October 2018.
Last Monday the Canadian government passed back-to-work legislation to bring an end to the rotating strikes. Rotating strikes concluded on Tuesday 27 November.
Canada Post advise backlogs remain extensive and customers should continue to expect processing and delivery delays for the foreseeable future, which could extend to March 2019 for some items. We are seeking further clarification on this from Canada Post.
Royal Mail’s Operation to Canada
Canada has three gateways into which Royal Mail Group injects postal traffic; Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal.
Over the weekend we were able to recommence the dispatch of Tracked mail bound for areas served by the Vancouver and Montreal gateways. That despatch is now taking place each day.
Toronto, is the largest Canadian gateway and we have not been able to dispatch mail (Tracked and Untracked) into Toronto. This means Tracked mail for Toronto and all untracked mail for Canada (which goes via Toronto) has been stored safely in our UK network and will be transferred to our carriers for its onward journey to Canada as soon as we are advised this is possible. We anticipate being able to recommence despatching traffic to Toronto from Thursday 29th November.
Advice for customers exporting to Canada
- Items posted into the Royal Mail network before Tuesday 20 November have travelled from the UK to Canada. However, there remain severe backlogs at the Canadian gateways which Canada Post and Canadian Border Services are working to process. Lengthy delays should be expected.
- The extensive disruption caused by the recent strike action throughout the Canadian postal network means items already in Canada will also be subject to extensive processing and delivery delays. Canada Post are not currently able to honour their usual service standards (delivery aims), including for Christmas parcels.
- Items to Canada posted into the Royal Mail network since Tuesday 20 November were being stored in our network.
- Over the weekend we were able to recommence the despatching of Tracked items to two of the three Canadian gateways (Vancouver and Montreal). This means we are no longer holding items for these destinations as they are being despatched to Canada Post for onward processing. They are however, subject to ongoing delay once entering the Canadian network.
- Any Untracked items or Tracked items bound for areas served by Toronto (the largest gateway) are being held securely at Royal Mail hubs until we are able to fly these items. We expect to be able to recommence despatching items to Toronto on Thursday 29th November.
- We are again accepting items bound for Canada. Customers are however advised to expect lengthy delays in processing and delivery once they arrive in Canada.
We will provide further updates, including any changing customer advice, as soon as information becomes available.
Updates from Canada Post
Unless individually marked, the standard postage rates are:
United Kingdom £1.95 per item
Europe £3.50 per item
Rest of World £4.50 per item
Recent and possible future world events have made world postal services more susceptible to lost mail. In most cases mail finally arrives but much later than was anticipated. In these cases, we will supply replacement copies of items ordered. Please allow 28 days from date of posting before contacting this office.
If your item is not in stock, we will back order for you. You will be emailed with the option to cancel your order if you would rather not wait.
In the event of goods being faulty we will replace or refund the items. In the event of goods being damaged we will replace items. Goods must be returned within 30 days. You must notify The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo in writing (i.e. letter, fax or email) of all damage or faults to goods no later than 5 days after their receipt.
Your rights to return goods are protected under the EU Distance Selling Directive which can be found at http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20002334.htm.